Home Page


If you have a child who is due to start school in September 2019 and would like to view our lovely school, we will be holding tours from November onwards  Please check back nearer the time for dates.   You can contact the school on 01233 812781 or by email to

The information contained on this page should be read in conjuction with the KCC Admissions policy.


The closing date for applications for a reception school place for 2018 was 15 January 2018.  


If you missed the deadline, you can make a late application by filling in the Primary In Year Common Application Form (IYCAF) and returning it to the school as soon as possible.  This will not be actioned until our waiting list opens on Friday 15th June 2018


If you applied online KCC will email you on 16 April 2018 after 4pm to tell you which school you have been offered. They cannot guarantee the exact time you will receive your email, this will depend on your email service provider. 


You can also log in after 5pm on 16 April to view your offer online.


If you applied by post KCC will send your offer by first class post on 16 April 2018.

Click on the links below to be redirected to the website.


Starting School

Children reach compulsory school age at the beginning of term after their fifth birthday. The children due to be admitted in any academic year are those born between 1st September and the following 31st August. Each school decides as a matter of policy when to admit four year old. In coming to a decision the Headteacher has to take account of the number of teachers, class sizes and the accommodation at the school.


Admissions Policy

In line with Kent County Council’s commitment to open enrollment, Lady Joanna Thornhill will do its best to provide a place for a child at the school, but this may not always be possible. The capacity of the accommodation or other constraints at our school may mean that parental preference cannot be met.

Admission may have to be refused, for example, if it would lead to oversized classes now or later, or it would prevent resources from being used efficiently. In some years we have not been able to accept all applicants to the school.

The LEA has to plan the number of children admitted to each school very carefully to make sure that no school is overcrowded. For this reason Lady Joanna Thornhill intends to admit a maximum of 60 children into Reception for the new academic year. (There is no set allocation of places for admissions of children entering school other than in Reception).

If the number of preferences for our school is less than this figure, there is usually no problem in meeting parents’ wishes. However, there may be occasions where so many parents want places that difficult decisions have to be made.

When this happens, places at County schools are allocated by the LEA (or Headteacher acting on its behalf) taking account of the following priority order:

  • Children in care of the Kent County Council;
  • Current Family association (a brother or sister in the same school at the time of entry where the family continue to live at the same address as when the sibling was admitted – if they have moved – live within 2 miles of the school – or have moved to a new property that is nearer to the school than the previous property);
  • Health reasons (children who for reasons of health or physical impairment need to attend a particular school);
  • Nearness of children’s homes to school


Changing Schools in Year

If you want to transfer your child from one primary school to another, other than at the normal transfer age (for example because you are moving home), you should contact the school, it would also be helpful if you could inform the Headteacher of your child’s present school. The transfer of a child to another school on educational grounds can be considered at any time.  If you wish to apply for a place at our school for your child in year, you would need to complete the IYCAF and return to the school.  We will then write to you and advise if we have a space available, and if not we will offer you the opportunity to join our waiting list.


Appeals Against Admission Decisions

Parents who are unhappy with an admission decision at a particular County school can appeal in writing to the Education Office. If you are not satisfied with this decision, the case can be referred to members of the Education & Libraries committee. There is a final stage of appeal to an Independent Statutory Appeal Committee, although if the admission of the child would breach Infant class Size Limit, this appeal can only be upheld where parents demonstrated the Authority has acted unreasonably or erroneously in refusing their child a place.


How to apply…

Applications for Reception places are taken online through the Kent County Council Website – KCC Admissions. Please note that there are set deadlines and special forms for children entering Reception. Information is usually available in the December before your child is due to start school, with deadlines for application usually in January before your child is due to start school.

In Year Applications need to complete the IYCAF form – IYCAF FORM – and return it to the school either by post or email.